Thursday, October 8, 2009

FINISHED!



Some time ago, I came across the book "John Adams" by David McCullough. I saw it in the library of my father-in-law while I was reading another of McCullough's books, "1776." After hearing good comments about this book from him, and after loving "1776," I became interested in reading "John Adams." At the beginning of the year I ordered my very own copy (I just knew I would love it and want it for my collection. Amber was here the day it arrived. She may recall my excitement! :)) It was my goal to read the book this year and at 651 pages of not "light" reading, it was quite an undertaking. I started the book this summer and finished last night. I loved every single page! (Adam kept telling me to quit marking up the book and bending pages; but really, that's why I bought my very own copy, thank you! I smiled to myself near the end of the book when I read that John Adams used to do that to his books too.) I was moved by this book, literally to tears! I was so touched at it's conclusion that I called my brother after 11pm (his time) to tell him I had finished and to read to him one of the concluding paragraphs. The most amazing part, is that it is not a work of fiction; it all really happened and I am in awe. This book was magnificent and told of a magnificent man to whom we owe so much. I am now also a huge fan of his "dearest friend" and wife, Abigail Adams who was his strength and foundation. I can only hope to be a measure of the woman she was. I have such a yearning to take a trip back east and see many of the historical places that remain entact there; to see pieces of history. I have come to appreciate and understand so much more about our country than ever before. I recommend this book to everyone! Simply put, this is one of the very best books I have ever read, if not the very best!






Another of the books that made it's way to my night stand this summer was the book "The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Schaffer (the title is a bit of a mouthful). I took a hiatus from reading "John Adams" at the request and recommendation of my friend Jenn, so that I could read this delightful book prior to her visit in August. This book was a charming book to read and I found myself wanting to meet these charaters too. These figures however, are fictional (not that I could easily meet John Adams right now either, but maybe someday; and I can at least visit his home, etc). I give my recommendation for this book as well as a definate "good read" and "feel good" book. It was a little slow getting started as I tried to place all the characters because the book is written as a series of letters between a variety of different people. Once I got all the people organized, I quickly fell in love with this book and you will too.

I mentioned reading "John Adams" as being one of my goals for the year. I am pleased to report I've accomplished another goal as well. Many of you moms may recognize the term "mom brain" where you feel like your mind has gone to mush and wonder if you are still capable of any of the things you used to do like write a research paper, do long division (let alone trigonometry), or learn to play and memorize a new piano piece. The latter was another of my goals for the year. I wondered if I was even capable of memorizing a piano piece any more and I'm delighted and a little surprised to tell you I have succeeded; and it wasn't nearly as painful as I thought it might be. I guess in some ways, my earlier skills have only been laying dormant and have not been all-together lost. I memorized a short piece called "Solfeggio" and love to play it for the delight it gives me as I've discovered that "I" am still inside me somewhere. :) I can hardly wait until the next time I see my dad and I can sit and play it for him. He's always pushed us kids to be just a bit more than we wanted for ourselves, ever saying "play it just one more time." For some reason, I still feel the need to impress him most of all and just want to show him, I still have it in me. :)

3 comments:

The Maughans said...

Love, love, loved Guernsey!

Sarah said...

Okay, I'll have to read it now. Maybe when my life slows down a bit. Sounds amazing.

Carolee said...

You are still you!! and getting better each and everyday. I am so proud of the woman and mother you have become. You have already surpassed all my dreams for you.
Love you Much
Mom
I may just have to attempt that John Adams book - Vilate would be so proud of you, she also raves about the book.