Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Deja Vu?!

As my mom put it so well..."what is it with Adam and the holidays?!" You may remember that Halloween was spent in the ER with gallbladder related pains and the gallbladder holiday pains returned on Thanksgiving. You may wonder, "how can that be if they removed it?" Good question. The theory is that a gall stone or two "jumped ship" before it was pulled out and are now causing "issues" other places. The fun started while Adam was enjoying a lovely round of Thanksgiving Day golf with my dad. They returned home after only twelve holes and an hour and a half early for dinner -which Adam laid on the floor for anyway. :( He continued not feeling great throughout the holiday weekend hoping our guests were having a good time in spite of his not feeling up to having a good time himself. On my parents last night here, we almost went back to the ER but decided not to in the end (okay, I fell asleep while we were deliberating). Oh, regrets are so painful! Just hours after the last of my family left town, Adam became jaundice (he probably was before and we just didn't notice in time). We were advised while at church by a doctor in our ward to call our surgeon that day, which we did. Adam had lab work done and an appoint on Monday during which they told us to report to the hospital Tuesday morning to have a "procedure" done to find the missing stone. We showed up at 8am this morning, fully expecting to return home later today (as we did on the day of his first surgery), and I came home in tears at 6:30 this evening without Adam. He was admitted to the hospital and had a CT scan done but has yet to have the "procedure" done (where they send a scope down his throat -ouch! -to correct the problem) and as of an hour ago (11pm) had yet to see or hear from the doctor that will supposedly be performing such an operation. We don't know when or much about the "how" this will take place, so now after a long day with a frustrating end, we are still very much in limbo. We again were helped by a couple of wonderful friends in town who watched our girls for nearly 12 hours today until I gave in and came home to them, regretfully not having been able to support Adam through his surgery. We hope for better luck tomorrow and would be just thrilled if there could be an improved sense of communication and perhaps even a schedule tomorrow so that I might be able to return to Adam's side until the tough stuff is over. Wish us luck, we just might need it! For now, I will spend the night alone at home with my girls while Adam sleeps at the hospital with his "roommate" -a fellow abdominal pain patient who lucked out and got the bed next to the bathroom. Oh the joys of hospitals! Sweet Dreams!

2 comments:

Keri West said...

Oh, I am so sorry for you two! I wish there was something we could do for you. We will keep Adam & the whole family in our thoughts and prayers this week. Good luck.

Brittanie said...

Oh my gosh!! I hope that this time in the hospital takes care of Adam's abdominal woes for good!! I wish I were there to help you out! I'm glad that you have good friends to take care of your girls for you. Keep us posted!