Monday, September 29, 2008

Where do I turn in my time sheet?



Who needs a handy-man when you have the internet?! I've read a few of the articles that talk about the 6-figure salary a woman in the home would earn should she actually be paid for all her many services; and I smile when I read them. I'd love the cash, sure, but I'll take sticky kisses and a few sets of little arms wrapped around my neck any day in return for the things I do each day.

This weekend I tried my hand at several new "skills." I mentioned my clogged drains in a previous post and ladies, it was time to strap on the rubber gloves and get to work. I refused to call a plumber this time, without at least giving it my best effort first. Long story short, and omitting the icky details -I fixed them both! I also tried my hand at new levels of home pest control, learned what to do about the "growth" on our palm tree, and scrubbed the "pond scum" out of the borrowed kiddie pool. Yuck! I repaired the holes in my wall from the towel hook and did research on feeding my baby "real/fresh" food as opposed to all pre-packaged stuff (this weeks' menu: avocados and bananas. Next week: home cooked oatmeal)I am feeling so empowered after accomplishing so many new things (and saving a bundle on service-man fees while I was at it)! This is my attempt to be more economical, more resourceful, more educated, live healthier and be more independent. I LOVE the resource that the internet is and have discovered the secret to my own personal super-powers...gloves! Rather than a cape like many traditional super-heroes wear, when I put on my gloves, I feel I can tackle just about anything! So next time you don't know what to give a mother as a gift...think about a clean, new pair of gloves. :)

P.S. My actual gloves are boring and yellow. Who new they came in such stylish patterns?!

11 comments:

Brett and Meredith said...

You ARE superwoman!! And I'll chime in as one of your greatest fans and say, great job on all your accomplishments!! Is that a picture of your actual gloves? If so, they are darling. On another note...who took your amazing pictures!!??? LOVE them!!! They are just too cute for words.

Keri West said...

Alyssa, you are my hero! You make me aspire to be so much more! I have to agree with the previous comment on this post too... your pictures are so great! I love them! What a beautiful family!

Anonymous said...

Love this post! I'm gettin' me a pair of gloves tomorrow and tackling all the household problems I've been putting off!

PS - if you want some really awesome homemade baby food recipes, give me a call! I love making my own - it's healthier, cheaper, and more convenient.

Justi said...

Sounds like you had a great week in Utah. I wish we could have gotten together. I commented on another post on your blog earlier asking when you guys were coming into town but I probably just missed you. I'm so sad we didn't get a chance to see you and the girls while you were here...maybe next time. On a brighter note, I love reading your posts. What a great writer you are! And congratulations on conquering all the household projectors. I'm impressed! Sure love you!

Aryn said...

I think I need to buy some rubber gloves!! Your girls are beautiful - you can tell that you are a wonderful Mom from all of their smiles!

Amber said...

I saw gloves like that in a store once and when you told me about your triumph this weekend and how the gloves empowered you, I pictured those gloves once again. Hilarious, that you found a cute pic of them!!! I think I might be more apt to clean with gloves like that!!!!

Amber said...

Oh, P.S. Love the new family pics on the side, they are gorgeous!

GREENLAW said...

way to go!! :) i'm impressed! i also love the new pics you posted on the side... VERY cute! did you have them done? where??

SO glad we met at the park today! everyone had a friend and it was wonderful! :)

The Van V's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Van V's said...

You are such a SuperMom!!! Love that you can handel any challange that faces you.....

Could you email me your address I have some pictures for you :)

Hugs,
Rachel

Gma Day said...

I am sending you a cape and some gold cuff bracelets for sure Wonder Woman! Do you think Adam could get you the invisible jet though? They are back ordered in Salt Lake?

I am glad there are such good uses for rubber gloves. For some reason when ever I say those words together, Rick turns his head, coughs and then blushes.!? It makes him feel sick. Whatever!