Thursday, January 8, 2009

Happy Anniversary to my family!


(Computer time around here is VERY limited these days, thus you get several posts all in a day.)

Seven years ago today, my family (my parents and siblings) were sealed together for time and all eternity in the Salt Lake Temple. Happy Ever After to you all! I love you!

Just for fun, I thought I'd share this e-mail from my brother Miles who is currently serving a mission in Toulouse, France (4 months until he returns!). This was his Christmas e-mail:

Well the holiday season is in full swing and we are preparing for Christmas this Thursday. We are lucky to have some eating appointments coming up, there always appreciated, especially at this time of year.

Last night after zone conference, the Toulouse and Montpellier zones stayed in Toulouse to put on a special show, for members and non-members alike. It was fantastic! We formed a choir of approximately 35 missionaries and sung Christmas Hymns, had a special video presentation on the life of the Lord with the song, "Come thou fount of every blessing" which was an amazing rendition. Some of the missionaries had the oppotunity to share some Christmas stories, special musical numbers, and two were chosen to bear their testimonies about Christmas. The elder that bore his testimony stated it as the best Christmas that his family had ever had. He told of his family and of their love for one another. He told of some of the struggles that come with living in a part member family. He spoke of his mother and her unyealding faith that she showed in taking her children to Church on her own every week for more than twenty years. He mentioned two beautiful and nearly perfect sister missionaries that came to his door late in 2000. He told of countless other missionary visits before and the hope that the family had in these two sisters without trying to get there hopes to high and then being let down. He continued as he talked about the charished Apostle Elder David B. Haight who reached out with pure love towards his this elder's father. He spoke of the stake conference where thay met and their unannounced meeting that followed shortly there after. The storied continued with the sisters coming over to watch the "Special Witnesses of Christ" video and the testimonies that were born afterwards. His father accepted to receive the lessons from these loving sisters giving them just one shot. The day of the appointment came and this elder and his sister were quite anxious to hear the outcome, dad came home and sat the children down and announced the news, he was getting baptized! Shock filled the room and joy overwhelmed the family, the date was fixed for Christmas Day 2000. Christmas came, as did nearly three hundred people to watch him enter into the waters of baptism. This elder can still remember perfectly the image of his father dressed all in white standing in the font, he can still remember the joy that radiated from his mother's face. The story ended with the family being sealed for all time and eternity in the temple by the hand of Elder Haight. Thank you dad, I love you.

The finalé of the evening followed immediately after the testimony, with a sister missionary singing the most beautiful and most powerful version of "O, Holy Night" that I have ever heard in my life, it was perfect because that is the favorite Christmas song of my dad.

I'd like to thank Sister Sites and Sister Still who helped my dad along this path, I'd like to thank Elder Haight who took the time to reach out to him, I thank my brothers and sister for living as examples, I thank dad for making this decision and for being the greatest dad in the world, and mom, thank you for everything, thank you for enduring and for never giving up. I love you!

Merry Christmas everyone! I love you!
Elder Marsala


By the way; Elder Marsala could use some fan mail so anyone who knows him, or even those who don't, please take a minute to support an elder and send him a letter:

Elder Miles Marsala
France Toulouse Mission
4, Rue Alaric II
Compans Caffarelli
F-31000 Toulouse
FRANCE

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh, I just bawled through that post, it was so touching. I am so happy for your family!

Unknown said...

Alyssa, this post made my heart SO happy for like 3 reasons. After Jennifer's wedding, I hardly recognize any of your family members (well, aside from you and your parents), and I love the picture you posted because that's how I remember your little brothers, lol!! Second of all, I just remember hearing this news and being SO excited for you family, and even more excited when you got to be sealed together. I can hardly believe that Miles comes home from a mission so soon. His "story" made me cry just thinking of your mother and how faithful she was, and what awesome children she was able to rear in the gospel. I love your dads story. I think it's an amazing one, really. Your family is amazing and I am so blessed to know you all!

Mike and Leslie said...

I found you! I am so glad that I found your blog. I was looking on facebook and ended up here somehow. Your little girls are so stinkin' adorable. Keep in touch girl. I miss you!
Leslie (Lasater) Rowberry

Brett and Meredith said...

What a miraculous day! I will never forget it. All that singing at the piano when we were 7 years old must have really paid off :) Sure love your sweet family!