Friday, January 23, 2009

Puddle Hunting






On a given day, you are sure to hear me say (multiple times) to my children, "Stay out of the water!" "Don't Splash" "Please don't get wet!" and in the back of my head, I hear my mom's voice saying "Let them be kids. They'll wash. It'll dry." Just yesterday, in fact, I scolded them for getting their shoes wet just before getting into the car. Well, today I took your advice mom and "let loose" a little. It was raining outside, and so we went out prepared. We put on the rain boots you prepped them with at Christmas and planned on jumping in some puddles. I asked the girls to simply do me the favor of tucking their pants into their boots (to minimize wetness) and we found ourselves scouring the parking lot at the stores and intentionally walking through every puddle, large or small, that we could find. The fun continued once we returned home and we went puddle hunting again on the way to the mailbox; you know what? It was fun. (And they stayed dry!) While I still believe their is a time and a place to be wet, I must say, thanks Mom, for being the soft whisper in my ear reminding me to let my kids be kids...at least some of the time. :)

6 comments:

The Van V's said...

Alyssa, You are such a wonderful mother!! I love reading the stories you share...You are always giving me ideas of what I can do with my kids.

Carolee said...

I'm loving the puddle's! how great you let them splash!

where the wildthings grow said...

Puddle Hunting! How Fun. I need some boots so I can go with the girls!

birdie said...

So cute! I love their boots - what hip and stylish little girls you have :)

Brett and Meredith said...

LOVE that Aubrey's boots are on the wrong feet....way too cute! Such a fun activity. Not happening around here, much, but IF it ever rains, I'll try and remember that kids need to go out and splash a bit!

Travis and Cristan said...

Hello! So I feel really bad about missing the get to gether at Christmas time. You know how it is with kids though it seems they can catch a cold in the blink of an eye. I am a little paranoid in the winter and it has been worse this year with having a new baby. So I love your blog! If you venture to mine don't judge I am a begginer! Anyways it is so good to see you and your family. I t looks like you are doing great.
Cristan (Clark) Story