Tuesday, April 21, 2009

compliments of Lexi

I knew with three girls in my house, that this was bound to happen some day...but oh how I wish it hadn't! To my horror, this past Friday, Aubrey and Alexis came to me to show off Aubrey's new "do," compliments of Lexi. I was in a state of shock, wishing that somehow when she turned around that I would see all Aubrey's beautiful hair tucked away in a pigtail somehow, but no, it was gone, all gone. Lucky for Lexi, I was on the phone with my dad so didn't completely flip out. Really though, all I could do was cry. A lot. I wanted so desperately to cut Lexi's hair short too (they both loved their long "princess" hair) but I kept seeing in my mind the saying that my mom had hung on my bathroom wall when I was growing up. It read: "An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind;" or in this case, with bad hair cuts! I cried and cried, and cried even harder when I saw the pile of long beautiful auburn locks of hair in the trash can. I picked out one bunch of it (as if that gave me some comfort to have some to hold on to!) and it measured around 8 inches in length! Oh, wow! What to say! What to do! I sat Aubrey down and evened the ends a bit and now we go on. Many people have complimented Aubrey on her hair cut and Lexi just loves it; since it was her doing! (The nerve!) While I recognize that it could have been FAR worse than it was, it was still a bit tragically devastating to me at the time and will likely be for a while. (Possibly for the two YEARS it will take to grow it back!) Aubrey hasn't been overly upset with it until this morning when she asked for a "long braid." I sadly informed her that she didn't have enough hair for that anymore. She said it was okay and asked for a "back pony". Not enough for that either sweetheart. She said, "could we get some tape?" Oh, Aubs! She knows it will grow back so it will be okay. She just has NO idea how long it will take. When this happens to you at your house, just hope whomever is doing the cutting is also the recipient of the trim so they can face the consequences of their choices. Alexis was reprimanded but it's poor Aubs that lost her hair! Good news for her is that she is still so beautiful and wears a smile anyway!



This is what Aubrey looked like when she first came to me.


This is one to the locks of hair I recovered from the trash can.



And this is the new "do".

8 comments:

Jenn said...

Lol. I can't believe Lexi came to you showing it off. Holy smokes, she cut so much hair!!

I still think Aubrey looks adorable, even without her princess hair.

Sarah said...

Ahhhhh! I don't know what I would do... that story is hilarious though, I love reading your blog. She looks darling no matter what- I love short hair. She looks like you when you were little!

Anonymous said...

LOL oh wow, fun times with the Wahlquists LOL!!! Well i think you have a great attitude about it, you always handle things way better then me :) aubrey looks adorable, maybe lexi found her calling in life :) love you! let's play soon!

Texan 2x2 said...

You are right.... it was bound to happen to one of your girls sometime!! Try as hard as I did to never let it happen at our house, Allie (age 3) came downstairs while we were moving from one house to another (here in The Woodlands) and showed me her "trim"!!! It was lop-sided, as she only cut one side, with children's safety scissors, no less! I don't know if I was more upset at the hair gone or the ability for her to undermine my best intentions!!
As you did, I was so sad and cut the rest short. Everyone loved it--- and I DO really love Aubrey's!!-- but for the mom it is quite devastating!
Ask Missy sometime about the day I cut her hair.... we were much older! I surprised her by grabbing scissors out of the drawer rather than the curling iron!!!

Sisters! Girls! :)

birdie said...

I like the new do! it actually suits aubs quite well :)

so sorry for the drama though - gotta love a house of girls.

GREENLAW said...

i saw her at church and thought, "what a cute haircut!" the story was even better, though... you'll get LOTS of mileage out of that!! poor lexi will seriously regret doing that because she be reminded of it for YEARS!!! :) she really does look adorable, and the good thing is: hair grows back!! :)

Heidi said...

I think her hair looks adorable like that! And at least Lexi didn't give her a buzz cut!

allison said...

loved reading about this adventure. azure has stuck the scissors up her hair a few times and has given herself bald spots... fortunately it was under the hair so it could be covered up. :)