Thursday, March 5, 2009

Vancouver, Canada and Mexican Lasagna



So Adam headed off to work yesterday on just a normal, average day and then called home around lunch time to say he was coming home to grab a suitcase and flying off to Canada for a couple of days on a work assignment. Let's be spontaneous, shall we! I am admittedly jealous of his thrilling adventure but the girls and I are having a good party back home too. (We might as well have something to be excited about instead of sad, right!) We've been eating pink ice cream with sprinkles and playing at the park and will be doing pedicures tomorrow and making chocolate covered pretzels (green of course, since it is March!). Best of all, we got to make chicken enchiladas tonight for dinner, which Adam greatly dislikes and I happen to LOVE (so I've reserved them for just such and occasion). I rummaged though several of my cook books to find the perfect recipe and ended up melding a few ideas together into what became a fantastic dinner. It felt a lot like I was making more of a lasagna than an enchilada but the end result was just what I was dreaming of...and I even have left overs for lunch tomorrow -wahoo! Here's what we came up with in case you ever need a special excuse to be excited to be alone some night:

Mexican Lasagna (aka Chicken Enchiladas)

*2 chicken breasts (cooked and cubed or shredded)
*1 can cream of chicken soup
*1/3 cup plain yogurt (We used this instead of sour cream since we already had it on hand for the baby and it was a fantastic -mind you, much healthier -substitution)
*4 oz can of diced green chilies (We didn't use the whole can, but quite a bit of it. The cans don't come any smaller so use more or less depending on your taste.)
*chopped onion (just a small handful)
*grated cheddar cheese (sorry, I didn't measure it. We just used what covered it.)
*Tortillas, torn into bite size pieces (I'm addicted to the ones you buy at Costco and "cook" at home!) I was curious about how the broken up tortillas would turn out as opposed to "rolling up" the tortillas. In the end, I loved it. They were very easy to serve and to eat. I think I will always make them "lasagna style".

---Mix together soup, yogurt and chilies, then add chicken to the mix.
---Using half the torn tortillas, cover the bottom of baking dish. Next add the chicken mixture followed by a layer of cheese. Repeat beginning with the remaining tortillas. Bake at 350 degrees for approx. 45 minutes and you have a mighty tasty dinner. (One that can easily be "healthified" using low fat ingredients.) Hope you like as much as we did!
---

1 comment:

Texan 2x2 said...

Thanks for the recipe! I tried it and my family and I really enjoyed it!! :)