Thursday, August 6, 2009

New Favorite Recipes

I want to share my two new favorite recipes from the summer (not that they are "summer recipes," just things I've made this summer).

The first is for Spanish Rice, which I love but don't usually ever make because the mixes for it are SO high in sodium. This is not only better for you, but it SO tasty and SO easy! Another thanks to Danina for this great find!

Spanish Rice:

saute:
2 TBSP oil
2 TBSP chopped onion
add:
1 1/2 cups uncooked rice (NOT minute rice)
Cook until lightly browned.
add:
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup of your favorite salsa
...and I like to add 1 or 2 chopped tomatoes from our garden

Stir to a boil. Cover and cook on low 20 min.


My next new favorite recipe is for Oatmeal White Chocolate and Cranberry Cookies.
(Anyone who knows my taste buds must be surprised that these are on my fav. list since they sound all fancy. I questioned them in name only but LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to eat them.) Trust me, they are amazing! Thank you to Jenn for my new cookie obsession.
Jenn's mom has an awesome website filled with such delights as these at: www.barbarabakes.blogspot.com. I recommed checking this site out if you are looking for something fun to make.

Oatmeal White Chocolate and Cranberry Cookies

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup softened butter
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 cups flour (or 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour)
1 1/4 cups oats
1 cup craisins
1 cup white chocolate chips (Jenn suggest Nestle brand are the best)

Cream butter and sugars. Mix in egg and vanilla. In a separate bowl whisk together dry ingredients (except oats). Slowly add to wet ingredients. Add oats, craisins and white chocolate. Bake at 375 for 8-12 minutes. Makes 2 dozen.

No comments: