Thursday, November 20, 2008

Another Culinary Quest

While I was growing up, I remember eating the best-ever homemade "chicken noodle" soup at my Grandma's house. I also remember her taking home the turkey carcass in a grocery sack after Thanksgiving Dinner every year. I thought it was so silly that she'd never let any one throw it away. Come to find out, she was taking it home to cook it - yikes! Why?! Turns out that "chicken noodle" soup was actually "Turkey noodle" soup...and it was delicious!
We had a pretend Thanksgiving Dinner this past Sunday (Thanks Munchie!) since we won't be with family on the actual day this year. Afterwards, I decided it was time to try another something new and use the whole turkey. I called up my dear Grandma and she told me just what to do and I made some pretty tasty homemade turkey noodle soup. So don't throw away your turkey carcass this year. Toss it in a pot, cover it with water and add a few ingredients to flavor the turkey stock/ soup broth. (You can also do this in your crock pot, if your turkey will fit, and cook on low 12 to 24 hours.)I added a few stalks of celery, a couple carrots, an onion, salt and pepper, and a few beef bullion cubes. (Other recipes I've seen included, fresh parsley and bay leaves.) Cover and simmer on low heat for 3-4 hours. Strain the broth into a bowl and refrigerate to cool then skim the fat from the top of broth. Pick off remaining turkey from the bones and save for the soup. When broth is ready, pour into large pot and add turkey and whatever other ingredients you like. I added carrots, celery, corn and peas. Add noodles and cook 15 minutes or until noodles and veggies are tender. Since I was already being a little adventurous this year, when I came across a recipe for homemade noodles, I thought "why not!" Here's the recipe. They are SUPER easy.

Homemade Noodles

1 Cup Flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoon milk
1 egg, beaten

Mix flour and salt in a medium bowl, making a well in the center. Mix together milk and egg in a small bowl. Pour into flour well. Stir until mixture forms a dough. Knead on a floured board 8 to 10 times. Roll very thin. Let stand 20 minutes. (Can let dry up to 2 hours before cooking.) Cut into 1-inch strips, as wide as desired. (***Remember that they expand when you cook them so they don't need to be very big.**) Drop into boiling broth.

How awesome is that! I hope to hear back from at least one person who attempts making Grandma's Homemade Turkey Soup this year!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness, you are seriously amazing... you get the homemaker of the year award...homemade noodles from scratch... rolls... soup... how do you manage it all with all your little girls? I need the secret, PLEASE!! I feel like I never have extra time for anything besides regular day to day stuff! I envy you, you are my role model!! Okay, enough of that :) Thank you for your bottle suggestion, I decided I was ready to quit nursing after all and he actually took a bottle for the first time ever yesterday! So, thanks a ton Super Mom!! ((HUGS))BTW, next time you are in town I would love to see you and your cute family, we all need to get together (you know, the old crew... :)

Amber said...

I made it, noodles and all and it was fabulous! I encourage all to try it, easy and delicious!!

Anonymous said...

it's in the crockpot right now:) ill add the noodles later. thanks for the great recipe! ill let you know how it turns out!