Thursday, November 20, 2008

More Turkey Day!



I decided I have to share my two-hour roll recipe to go with the two-hour turkey recipe. These rolls are delicious and are quite easy to make.

Two-Hour Rolls


4 to 5 Cups Flour
1 Tablespoon instant yeast
1/4 Cup sugar
3 Tablespoons oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 Cups warm water

Mix half the flour with yeast then add sugar, oil, egg, salt, and water. Blend well with mixer or dough hook. Add enough flour to make a soft dough that leaves the sides of the bowl. Let rise 15 minutes. Punch down and let rise another 15 minutes. Knead 1 to 2 minutes on a lightly floured board. Roll out into a large circle. Cut out into wedges using a pizza cutter and roll into crescent shapes. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and cover with plastic wrap sprayed with cooking spray. Let rise 1 hour.

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake about 15 minutes, until lightly browned. Brush with melted butter while still hot. (***Mine have never taken the full 15 minutes to brown. I always set my timer for 12 minutes and start checking then so I don't over-cook them.***)

Makes about 3 dozen rolls (unless you make them big like I do! :)

***Alternate idea: Instead or rolling them into a crescent shape, make them into Turkeys! So fun! My mom always did this when I was growing up. I'll try my best to explain without a picture. Roll out dough and cut into wedges then place them in a muffin tin, where the middle of the wedge of dough touches the bottom of the muffin tin and the point of the wedge pokes up on one edge (you can pinch it at the tip to make a beak) and the wide end of the wedge hangs out the other edge. Clip the wide end three or four times to form "feathers". When the rolls bake, they will plump up and form a "turkey roll" -hope that makes sense because it's oh, so fun!

1 comment:

allison said...

i think this is the recipe i've been looking for since last year.... my girlfriend calls them butt roll cuz you will so many they'll make your butt big! they were yummmmy. thx. al