Thursday, January 7, 2010

I bit off more than I wanted to chew on this one.


Here are the girls Holiday dresses for 2009. My mother-in-law had actually sent some beautiful dresses for the girls, but sadly they didn't all fit and so they'd have to be altered and I wasn't sure I could figure out how to do it nicely. I tried to find different sizes but they didn't have them. We also searched for different dresses but nothing was just right. Somewhere along the way, I got the crazy idea to make them dresses. I've done it twice before, so why not? I learned that Holiday dresses fall into a completely different category than an ordinary dress and I can honestly say that I've never wanted to give up on a project so badly before...but I didn't, and I'm glad. Each dress has both a lining and an overlay. All in all, it was like sewing nine dresses (three layers each), in the middle of the holiday season. Insane! I won't do that again. (Don't let me forget I said that!) Aubrey was thrilled about her dress and has thanked me many times and wants to wear it everyday so thank you Aubrey, for making this project more worthwhile for me.

(Side note: The first time the girls wore their dresses, we got to church and Allie threw-up all over hers! Thankfully, it washed up just fine.)

2 comments:

Olsens said...

They turned out so nice, what a feat! I laughed, because of course after all that work she would puke on it...glad it all came off! I love seeing your family grow up, hope all is well!

Texan 2x2 said...

Wonderful job! Maybe if you're lucky you could just make one more dress next year for Alexis and let the other girls move up a size! :)