Thursday, February 14, 2008

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!


Happy Valentines Day! Valentines Day for me is perhaps one the strangest days of the year and that is due to the love/hate relationship I have with this day. It is one of my favorite holidays to decorate for, I love the "lovey" stuff about it...all the hearts, kisses, etc., etc., and I love thinking of ways to surprise people and have a special excuse to do something fun to brighten someone's day. Yes, I'm fully aware that you can do special things anytime but for some reason, I like the idea of making Valentines Day fun for people. Every year however, I end up asking myself, "why do you love this day? Nothing ever works out like you wanted it to and you are in someway disappointed every year." Trying to convince myself that I don't like Valentine's day is futile. I would compare it to the idea of convincing myself I don't like chocolate or roses or late night chocolate chip cookies. Some things are just part of your make up and simply can't be changed. Every year I approach this day with a brighter hope that "this time it'll work out" and as I sit and type this very comment, my day is slipping apart, as it always inevitably will. It started out great...and I will now make what I hope is not a vain attempt to forget all expectations of what I hoped this day would be and appreciate it simply for what it turns out to be. After all, it is still a day for "loving" and that couldn't be all bad, could it?!

1 comment:

Keri West said...

I hear you on this Alyssa. I do the same thing of planning a big thing in my head and being let down in the end. However, I have realized lately that sometimes things turn out better when they are not planned at all. Sometimes you end up surprising yourself and that's always a good surprise! :)