Friday, October 10, 2008

This afternoon as I was reading in the Book of Mormon, I came across this passage: "And it came to pass that I did speak unto my people, and did urge them with great energy, that they would stand boldly before the Lamanites and fight for their wives, and their children, and their houses, and their homes. And my words did arouse them somewhat to vigor, insomuch that they did not flee from before the Lamanites, but did stand with boldness against them." This is from Mormon 2: 23-24 when Mormon is leading the Nephite armies against the Lamanites. This is what it made me think of...



I thought of Moroni's Title of Liberty and I thought of Proposition 8. "And it came to pass that he rent his coat; and he took a piece thereof, and wrote upon it -In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children -and he fastened it upon the end of a pole." (Alma 46:12) I have such a pole in my front yard signifying and publicly displaying my belief in the sanctity of marriage as God intended it to be; between a man and a woman. With 24 days to go until the elections, I feel nervousness about the society I live in and the places it my go if more of us don't "stand boldly" before our friends and neighbors.

I liked the message I found in this article on the internet by Darla Isackson stating the following: “We hold our freedom to choose most dearly above all else--and so does God. God allows his children to commit all manner of wickedness rather than trample on their right to choose. Each individual has as part of his or her very soul, a love of personal liberty that many have been willing to die for. Perhaps our most important job is to remind our children that the words on Moroni's Title of Liberty began with God and religion, then freedom--that we maintain true freedom only to the extent that we love God and live his laws.”

With my freedom to choose, I will choose to follow my God and follow His laws. "Marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and the family is central to the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children."

For more information, please take a moment to look at the following link:

www.preservingmarriage.org

(For those of you who are unfamiliar with Proposition 8; it is the proposition on California's ballot that is needed to restore the definition of marriage to that of "Only between a man and a woman." As it stands today in CA, same-sex marriage is legal and recognized the same as marriage between man and woman and our children will be taught this in our public schools tomorrow if we don't do something about it today.)

2 comments:

Carolee said...

How proud I am of you for standing strong and being such a force for good in your community. As much as I would love to have you here in Utah, I believe that you are where you are for a reason and that you will make a difference in your fight for what is right.
Love, Mom

Justi said...

What a great post, Lu. You are such an amazing woman, mom, wife and friend. I wish I could be there in CA to vote with you.