Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A little bit sentimental


Today, Adam and I sold the first tv we bought together! This was the TV we purchased with an accumulation of Target gift cards from our wedding eight years ago this month. It kind of looks like a Monster compared to all the newer "thin" tvs. When Adam hauled it into the house we were delivering it to, the lady there even commented "wow. That is a really big tv." (note that the screen was only 27 inches so it was the width she was referring too and not the massive viewing space. These people had a 72 inch or so flat screen hanging on their wall, so I have no idea what they wanted with our old tube set.) Anyway, while I am glad to have the tv off our bedroom floor, where it has resided for the past several months since our tv upgrade, I miss it...or rather the memories made with it. I remember how we broke the rear-view mirror off our little civic when we tried to stuff it in the passenger seat because it wouldn't fit in our trunk (we were so dumb!). I remember how we used to haul our mattress from our room into the family room to watch movies on the weekends. We'd get Chinese take-out or Cafe Rio and eat it "in bed" while we stayed up late watching movies in the family room and then sleep in on Saturday mornings. Those were the days! (At least the ones when we didn't have to be to work at Discover Card by 6am!) That tv has played hundreds of episodes of Elmo, got me through my labor with Allie, experienced the transition of analog to digital tv, aired numeous historical events such as the swearing in of the first African American President, and so much more. Who'd have thought I'd become sentimental over an old tv? Not me. Not that I'd prefer the old tv to the new one, but I'm just sayin'...
It turns out that it's true what they say about how sometimes the little things aren't so little after all.

1 comment:

Keri said...

That is a very good reason to be sentimental. I felt the same feeling when we moved out of our first apartment. Although it was tiny and always smelled like smoke (thanks to our downstairs neighbor) it also held a lot of memories. :)